Saturday, April 10, 2010

#22

During all 3 of my pregnancies, someone in our extended family died.  So Marshall and I decided, in all 3  circumstances, to use the name of the deceased person as our child's middle name.  For example, Payton's middle name is Bernice, because my grandmother Bernice died just a few weeks before Payton was born.  Eli is Elijah Anthony, the Anthony coming from someone is Marshall's family.  A few weeks before Odell was born, my cousin Andrew died in a tragic car accident.  He was 18 and had just started college months before.  He was an only child to my cousin Tammie, who is a teacher in Henry County.  Andy played baseball in high school and college.  This is his senior picture.  I love that kind, gentle smile. 

This is Andrew with his mother on the left, and his two aunts (or other mothers) on the right.




If you have heard anything about the Braves opening day at Turner Field then you have probably heard the name Jason Heyward.  He is a 20 year old rookie from Henry County who hit a homerun his first time at bat in a major league game.  I know who our family will be watching and cheering for this baseball season.  Want to know why I am cheering for #22?  Check out the following clips.  Deuce's  ya'll!


http://www.cbsatlanta.com/video/23063054/index.html

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/video/23062768/index.html

1 comment:

zmelissa said...

Amazing story! I really love this. I will be cheering for 22, fo sho!