Friday, April 22, 2011

That's our 22


Wonder why my kids are proudly wearing 22 on their baseball jerseys?  Please take the time to watch this video and find out.   I wrote a short blog entry about this back in April 2010, but this video clip is from a show on ESPN called E:60 that has aired since then.  It tells the amazing story of #22 in even greater detail.



Tammie Ruston is my cousin, and her son Andy is my second cousin.  It was a huge loss to Tammie and our whole family when Andrew died in a car accident 4 years ago this fall.  What an awesome honor it is to Andy, Tammie, and the rest of our family that Jason Heyward wears #22 in honor of Andy and the friendship they had.  Heyward is turning out to be quite a promising young player, not to mention the honorable character and integrity he displays on and off the field.  My kids proudly sport the #22 because Jason's right, that's our 22.  We miss you and remember you Andy.  We are cheering for you Heyward, and what your number represents. 
I remember watching the Braves on TV with my dad when I was in high school.  The Braves were a winning team, playing in the playoffs multiple years and then finally winning the championship in 1995.  I have the fondest memories sitting with my dad on the sofa at home, doing the tomahawk chop, cheering on the Braves through playoffs and the World Series - together, just me and dad.  
Now I can make new memories watching the Braves with my own children, cheering on the whole team, but especially #22.     

No comments: